If you’re a resident of Cheltenham, UK, or will be visiting this area in England this summer, count yourself lucky. This inviting Regency town has plenty to offer, including activities geared toward boosting your mental and physical wellness during unusually troubling times. Here are some wellness activities for rest, relaxation, and recovery in Cheltenham this summer:
- Walks with Hawks. Walks with Hawks is a program that allows you to handle and fly hawks, owls, or both in the heart of the Cotswolds. You’ll learn about the behavior and welfare of these majestic raptors in a beautiful and invigorating open-air environment.
- Castles and palaces. The Cotswolds region of England is home to several historic homes, castles, and palaces. You won’t even notice all the heart-healthy walking you’re getting done as you take in the rich architecture, art, and breathtaking gardens.
- Spa locations. Cheltenham has been a spa town resort for centuries. You can undo some of the damage a stressful year has brought by indulging in a spa treatment at one of the city’s world-class spa locations, many of which are housed in historic manors.
- The Neptune fountain. Thought to be a tribute to the Trevi Fountain in Rome, the Neptune Fountain is a refreshing sight in the Cheltenham Promenade. Take a few moments to rest and reflect as you take in the figure of the Greek God Neptune and his shell chariot drawn by four horses.
- The Colesbourne Gardens. The Colesbourne Gardens is famous for its winter Snowdrop Garden, but it’s a picturesque and peaceful destination all year round. Connect with nature by visiting its arboretum and surrounding village.
- Organized runs. Cheltenham features a number of organized running events that will get your heart pumping and calories burning. Running has proven cardiovascular and mental health benefits, and if you prefer to do it with a group, Cheltenham has plenty of easily-accessible options.
- Fantasy Forest Festival. The annual Cheltenham Fantasy Forest Festival at Sudeley Castle takes place from July 15-17, 2022. If an imaginative escape from reality is your cup of tea, you can enjoy not only medieval-era food, costumes, and entertainment, but herb education, a healing area, and drum workshops.
- Tai Chi Retreat. From July 31-August 6, 2022, you can take a Tai Chi Vacation with the School of Tai Chi Chuan & Tai Chi Foundation for a week of fun, learning, self-care, and exploration for people of all skill levels. It will be held at the Dean Close School campus, and you can register here.
The School of Tai Chi Chuan (The Tai Chi Foundation (TCF) is a not-for-profit educational organization that promotes, funds, and teaches programs that enable people to learn Tai Chi Chuan and embody its principles.
Join us for a Tai Chi Vacation this summer! We will be holding summer programs in Northampton, Massachusetts, US Saturday, July 9 - Saturday, July 16, 2022, and in Cheltenham, UK from Sunday, July 31 - Saturday, August 6, 2022.
The Tai Chi Foundation's mission is to improve health, well-being, and awareness through the study, practice, and teaching of Tai Chi and Qigong by an increasing number of people worldwide. Check out our course offerings for self-healing and balance. Sign up for our newsletter for updates on upcoming classes and events.
There are over 200 TCF-affiliated instructors teaching Tai Chi classes in 30 cities around the world. Find a class in your area, become a member, and support TCF in making the world a healthier and more mindful place today.
By External Affairs Committee, Tai Chi Foundation © 2022
Photo by Benjamin Elliott